Last time I found myself at an all-inclusive resort, I was pretty relaxed… for the first couple of days. And then I started stressing out with the fact that I was not doing anything productive.
I know, know, that’s what holidays are for… Anyway, this year, I decided to pack a few books to catch up on my reading, for the waiting periods at the airport, for instance.
I always try to follow the advice of Rose Newell, at her presentation in TLC conference this year. While she talked about “real CPD”, she mentioned three important fields on which we should keep improving our expertise:
- training in the subject matter;
- writing skills;
- marketing and negotiation skills;
So, here is the list of the books I read while spending one relaxing week in Morocco (loved it, by the way!). I will not make a review of all of them, there are plenty already about all of them all over the web. But I do reccomend each one of them:
Books about translation:
- Scientific and Technical Translation explained, by Jody Byrne
- The Prosperous Translator – Advice from Fire Ant & Worker Bee, compiled and edited by Chris Durban
- Scientific and technical Translation, by Maeve Olohan
- Found in Translation: How Language Shapes Our Lives and Transforms the World, by Jost Zetzsche
- Is That a Fish in Your Ear?: Translation and the Meaning of Everything, by David Bellos
- Why Translation Matters, Edith Grossman
- Translation in the digital age, by Michael Cronin
- Copy Righter: Become a Master Wordsmith and Harness the Copywriting Secrets That Will Win You Hearts, Minds… and Business, by Ian Atkinson
- Cracking the website code, by Janice Cumberlidge
- Persuasive Copywriting: Using Psychology to Engage, Influence and Sell, by Andy Maslen
- Love-Based Copywriting Method: The Philosophy Behind Writing Copy That Attracts, Inspires and Invites, by Michele PW (Pariza Wacek)
- Fascinate, Revised and Updated: How to Make Your Brand Impossible to Resist, by Sally Hogshead
Branding and social media:
- Social Media Strategy – Social Storytelling: Planning Your Organization’s Social Media Strategy, by Scott Steinberg
- Blogging for Personal Branding, by Susana Gonzalez Ruiz
What about you? What are you reading this summer?